- My fingers are at home on the keyboard of my laptop. Some of the letters are worn off of the keys. I write for hours on end.
- I don't even know that hours have passed. I've intended to do "a few edits" or "reread a chapter" and find out that the night turned to day and I forgot to go to bed. I'm not kidding.
- I write so long, I end up with a numb butt. When I stand, knees crack, and I have to stretch a moment in order to stand like a woman my age instead of a stooped old lady. At that moment, I realize I have to pee--desperately.
- It may have been the medication, but after surgery I scribbled down notes about how I felt so I could write believably about pain.
- I've stood in snow so long I was just shy of freezing. Why? I had to write about it in a scene and I wanted my reader to feel it too. I know, weird right?
- My characters become real. No, I mean it. Don't commit me.
- Every single aspect of day to day life is a seed for a new story, be it a snippet of conversation, a look or even a smell.
- Without my daily outlet of creating, there's no telling what could happen, so I don't try to find out. I have to write...then again, if I didn't, I'd have a clean house, laundry would be caught up, the butt-indent on my couch would disappear, and I'd probably eat more.
- When I sleep, I sometimes dream about my characters. Many great ideas come from those dreams.
- Sometimes my "author world" is a bit lonely. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm surrounded by people who love and support me. They congratulate me with a "Oh that's so nice!" with each contract. But they do not really understand the pure bliss of completing a book, or the joy of knowing I made a reader laugh, cry, or simply release a happy sigh. They do not understand the pain of edits, or the reason why just any picture will not do for cover art,or even why I write. All in all, I am a misunderstood creature.
- I am perfectly happy being different.
I'm a writer, dammit. And I certainly don't expect anyone to understand me. (Unless, of course, you're a writer too.)
(You are welcome to add to the list of crazies in the comment section! )
Photo courtesy of Dreamstime.com